Saturday, August 16, 2008

Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime

I'm an unabashed Dragon Quest fanboy. I've played the series since I was a wee lad and my grandmother and I played 3 and 4 together. It's probably my favorite video game series of all time (No doubt partially due to nostalgia, but I really do love the games.). So, when I saw this game for $15 used, I had to pick it up.

It's a really simple game, on the whole. Go to areas, rescue your slime friends, be a kleptomaniac and steal everything that isn't bolted to the ground. However, it manages to be very fun in the different areas. However, the various tank fights get a bit ... old.

Wait, tank fights? you might ask. Yeah. The town that the game is centered around gets attacked and destroyed by a gang of monsters that attack with a massive, massive tank. You end up getting one of your own and fighting a bunch of them over the span of the game. I'd say about 30 or so. The sad thing, is that each fight runs exactly the same. Before you get a crew, you run back and forth between the ammo shoots and cannons. After you get a crew, you go to the enemy tank and attack their crew until your crew deals enough damage. None of the fights are really at all difficult, either, sadly.

The story, of course, is throwaway. However, there's a lot of neat references to other Squeenix games and a good bit of humor. Graphically and soundwise, pretty average.

Decent game, short (About 12-14 hours). If you see it on the cheap, go for it.

No comments: