Thursday, December 17, 2009

Final Fantasy Mystic Quest Master Run

This is a summation of my levels and experiences as I went through Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest. The restriction was: No non-essential fights. AKA, I would blaze a path to the boss and be done. If there was a chest containing anything, I could not open it unless I could get to it without killing any extra monsters - So, I'd be foregoing a lot of equipment and spells, as well as levels. The lack of resists and Life hit me more than anything else, I feel.

Bone temple: Boss fought at level 4. Managed to get both unique chests from the Bone Temple, so I haz a shield and a Quake. Fuckyeah Quake.

Getting to the Ice Pyramid was fairly uneventful, I entered at level 8. I have a horrible realization, though, as I get here. That... The Magic Mirror may or may not be necessary. If it's not necessary to fight the boss, then I have to do this place blind. So, I decide to do it once, with, to map out a path. If I do need the Magic Mirror to fight the boss, tho, I'm doing this section by the standard rules, so I can just continue from here.

It is in the Ice Pyramid that I first end up skipping chest items that are not able to get gotten to without killing things that are not plot relevant. Say goodbye, Noble Armor!

Boss of Ice Pyramid: Gotten to at level 11 on with Magic Mirror run.

And as I discover, the Magic Mirror is totally not needed. Welp. YOu live, you learn. Those 2 fights, totally unneeded. Still did the boss fight at 11. Still damned easy.

Mine: Charm Claw skipped. ... That's kind of ouch, actually. And my first even moderately hard boss fight, against the Genie! Took a few tries, then I didn't get double sleep'd or sleep/confuse'd. I get the feeling Hero should be immune to at least one of those, by now... Oh well.

Volcano: Crap, crap, crap. This has a item to see monsters thing, too. Bleeeeh. Ah well. ... Except that it wasn't that bad at all to go through. Had to reload a few times, but no running through the entire thing twice. Oh: Missed out on White, too, here. Ick.

Lava Dome: If I recall rightly, this is going to suuuuck.
The dungeon itself... Not too bad, thanks to maps on GFAQs. The boss? I estimate roughly 30-35 attempts over 50 minutes. Eeeeesh. The boss had a group hitting attack, Flame Breath, that did more damage to the Hero than he had max HP (680 damage to 640 max HP, level 16). Yeaaaah... That sucked. But, I made it. The funniest thing is that this boss got easier if you managed to hurt him enough - He started using more attacks, all of which were much easier to deal with than the Flame Breath, which pad out his RNG. And now, things should sail smoothly until Pazuzu.

Giant Tree: Easy. Beat it at level 19, then loved that the game clears the enemies out so I could get METEOR! The worst of the Wizard spells, but still a good damager.

Mount Gale: Also easy. Level 20 beaten. The boss took a couple tries, as he has an ID attack, which, if he hits secondary... Eeeeew. He did that first round, once, but it wasn't that big a deal.

Pazuzu's Tower: A bit confusing of a dungeon, but not bad. Level 22 beat. I have to skip gorram Excalibur, though, which... D:

Mac's Ship: The game is nice, and gives me the best armor in the game, throwing me some more resists without there being any monsters near it.

Focus Tower/Doom Castle: Aaah... Best music in the game, right here. :D Yay. Everything up to the final boss was fairly easy. I went through seeds like candy, as Phoebe is really my only damage dealing, her being able to cast White. Meteor on Hero was bad, either, tho. I ended up being level 24 going into the final boss.

... So, yeah, I cure glitched the boss. I feel like it's the only way to win, given that it shaves about 10 rounds of not letting the game's RNG fuck me. No Life on Hero, no petrify resistance on Hero, Phoebe being easy to kill, and the Hero not being able to DPS would make for one hell of a bad fight.

The best part is? The minimum level possible to beat the game, if you get the min. EXP possible per fight is 24. So, without restarting every fight to see if it's the least EXP possible, I still came out at min. level.

And now, the big ol' * to this run: You can, once you can get Exit, use that to never get EXP. I find that to be boring, though. It also allows you to get equipment, tho. Which, okay, isn't as huge a deal, as I think you'd cap at like level 12. But, I think that'd have been massively boring, and this is still a damned good achievement.

Things missed:
1st accessory
2nd armor
3rd shield
2nd and 3rd helm
Life (GAAAAAAAAAAAAH)
2nd Claw
3rd Axe
Excalibur
All the Wizard magic but Thunder (Weakest one! :D)
Aero

No comments: