Saturday, December 13, 2008

FFTA2 pt 2

Yeah, part two. The game deserves a second entry now that I'm closer to the end. I might even write a third one when I beat the game.

But, I was thinking earlier. The game had so much potential - The story has all the elements of a good story. However, it ends up dumbed down or never developed. Let elaborate in a spoiley manner,but, don't worry. The plot is insipid and you aren't missing much if you read this.

There's an evil organization, Khamja, in the game. How do they show they're evil? They shoot one of the main characters. Twice. (He gets better. Twice.) and fail an assassination attempt. Also, they do something like insidier trading and poaching. Yeah. That's... about it.

Compare: How are people in FFT shown to be evil? They stab/poison people. They start/inflame wars. They sell their souls to demons. FFTA2, however, is rated E. Now, I don't have a problem with games being rated E, if they pull good things off. FFTA2 didn't.

Now, furthermore, the number of missions that deal with this group? Maybe 10 or 15. HAlf of those are "oh. Hay. It's Khamja. Let's beat them up." There is main plot integration, but not nearly enough. It's diappointing.

Another botch - The group that invades the continent you're on, Duelhorn. They end up fighting Khamja. Like the idiotic JRPG hero you are, you of course have to fight them both. I just started a mission where Duelhorn is attempting to destroy Khamja. What do you do? Stop them! ... what. Yeah... Doesn't make sense to me, either. But - Maybe let us choose how we go about things? Help one group or choose to not interfere in their war. Split the game, maybe. Of course not, that would be too much effort.

There's all the moral ambiguity of a brick in this game. Every time you do a quest, you have to follow the quest to the dot. There's been quests where you've done some stupid things, but the Hero just goes "Oh. Well. But the quest says we do this, so we do it!" ... No choices. Ever. Wait, sorry. There was one. --

The description for the quest: "I love someone whom I can never have. The very thought haunts me each moment I draw breath. It is more than I can bear. And so I wish to quit this mortal life. There is a substance known as zombie powder which may grant me the relief I so desperately seek. Please, find this and bring it to me. End my suffering."

You then go talk to a powerful witch, who tells you where to find the substance, and tells you about it. That the powder will turn the person into a zombie over a span of time, and their memories will fade away shortly after. As you arrive at the location of the enemies to kill to get zombie powder, you encounter an alchemist. He tells you about another potion, Lethean Draught that will make the person forget. You have the option to do either one to end the quest. But? Whichever you do? It doesn't actually change anything. There's no follow up on the quest. Great.

Sigh. FFT, why are your successors so terrible?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Heh, I actually played FFT after FFTA, and until I did I had no clue why so many people hated the story. (I didn't think it was brilliant, but that kind of lighthearted fluffy tale is common enough.) And then when I played the original, I understood why everyone was so angry, why they expected so much better.