Sunday, November 02, 2008

The problem with Ports/Remakes.

So, after buying 2 ports/remakes, playing them for a few hours, and then moving onto different games, I've realized something I've never really thought about before. While I love both Dragon Quest 4 and Final Fantasy 4 - Playing a port/remake, no matter how different, just doesn't have that ... new game feeling. Part of the excitement of owning a new game is that it is just that. There's some new game mechanic to learn, even if it's just that game's implementation of an already done system. That's what excites me most about playing new games, I think. Show me something new and innovative, that makes me have to think a bit, and I'll be drawn in. I suppose that might be one of the reasons I like SRPGs so much - They tend to have an insane amount of customization and depth. Starting a new SRPG means digging into a system and learning how it works. Growlanser Generations, I think, makes a great example of this. It's one of my favorite games mostly because nothing I've played is similar. When I started to play it, I was floord, and played through both games in the next few weels.

So... End mini-rant/ramblings, I suppose.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have to agree about remakes and ports. Somehow, no matter how well the game is improved, even if the changes are as drastic as a switch from 2D to 3D and the script is redone from scratch, it's just not the same as a first playthrough.

I don't replay games too often. Sometimes, that's the worst thing you can do to a favourite game; not only is it not the same, but without that 'spark', that new game feeling, you wonder why you loved it so much in the first place.